Wood is generally quite resistant to any kind of damage and lasts very long when used in furniture items. However, when it comes to water damage, this porous and organic material can face some serious troubles. Some wood furniture start showing marks of water damage, some develop mold and mildew while many others start to rot. Remember, you don’t need a flood to cause water damage. You can find out more about this here http://dallasmitigation247.com/water-damage/. Even beverages can cause water damage to tables. As a result of this, mitigating water damage for the table as soon as possible becomes very important. Here are some steps that you can take.
- Wipe the spills quickly- the first step that you must take in case of spills is to wipe it as quickly as possible. If you let the water remain on the surface of the wood, it will certainly be damaged to a great extent. So wipe it quickly. Remember, using a coaster will always help you. If you have a hair dryer, then dry the area quickly so that no damage can occur.
- Use a toothpaste- yes, this substance cleans a number of things apart from your teeth. Use a non-gel toothpaste and a lint free cloth or an extremely soft bristled toothbrush and start rubbing the water spot. Now, use a damp cloth and remove the toothpaste from the table. You should now clean the area with a clean cotton cloth.
- Mayonnaise can do the trick too- instead of toothpaste, you can take a generous amount of real mayonnaise and apply it on a cloth. Then rub the cloth over the water marks and let the mayonnaise stay overnight. The stain will likely soak this substance. In the morning, just use a clean cloth to remove the mayonnaise as well as the water marks.
- Baking soda works as well- you can also use a thick paste of water and baking soda and then rub it on the water marks with your fingers. You can also use a clean cloth for this purpose, just make sure it is lint free. You can leave this solution on the place overnight and remove it the next morning with a little water and a clean cloth. Make sure you remove the paste entirely.
- Polish your table- after the stain has been removed, you can easily polish the table with a good wood polish. You can also use lemon oil if you like. It will look like new.